02 April 2007

Quantifying My Love for Rock Bands

I have previously blogged about what my favourite rock bands are and the list, no matter how many times I do it, seems never to be the same twice. The only constants seem to be Eric Clapton, the Tragically Hip, and the Beatles. So, I decided to try to determine, in a completely objective manner, what my favourite rock bands are. I decided to do this by counting how many songs by individual bands I have ripped to my computer (yes, Metallica, they're all legal...ahem). So here is the list, my favourite musical acts:
  1. the Beatles (116)
  2. the Tragically Hip (62)
  3. the Rolling Stones (52)
  4. Chuck Berry (51)
  5. Sloan (46)*
  6. Pearl Jam (44)
  7. Live (43)
  8. Our Lady Peace (41)
  9. Eric Clapton (40)**
  10. Audioslave (38)***
  11. Red Hot Chili Peppers (34)
  12. Cream (29)**
  13. Led Zeppelin (28)
  14. BB King (23)
  15. Bob Dylan (22)
  16. Aerosmith (22)
Well, there you go, my 16 favourite rock acts as determined by my digital music library. I knew the Beatles would be number one, and I knew the Hip would be number two, but some of the others surprised me a bit. I didn't realize how much Cream I had!**** Anyway, this was fun for me, even though I'm certain you don't care. Hey, it's my blog, I can post what I want!

*****
* 30 of Sloan's 46 tracks are from their last CD, so this really shouldn't count. Though I do love them.
** Since Cream basically was Eric Clapton, I considered combining the two. Had I done so, EC would have finished second with 69 (hehe) songs. Or more, were I to count my Yardbirds collection. (Plus another with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers and one with BB King. I have no Blind Faith or Delanie & Bonnie and Friends. My collection of Derek and the Dominos only includes Layla, and it is counted under Eric Clapton, since he was Derek and the Dominos.)
*** Audioslave deserves to finish higher because every song they ever officially released on CD is accounted for. Stupid Chris Cornell breaking up the band!
**** Any sexual innuendos are strictly unintentional, you sicko. Yes, I know I caught it too. You're saying that makes me a sicko? Huh...

*****
I decided to add a bonus here: Some lyrics from the much underrated Kings of Leon:

feels like a fast or homeless sleep,
at least there's a record that i love to play

More bonus: Some lyrics from the Rolling Stones:

And his coat is torn and frayed,
It's seen much better days.
Just as long as the guitar plays
Let it steal your heart away,
Let it steal your heart away.



Beautiful. No matter what's going on in your life, music is always there to take you away.

No comments:

Post a Comment