02 April 2007

Interesting Song Titles, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Procrastination

I was thinking about an update to my "Random List" section where I traditionally post stupid little top five lists. I thought of doing top five weird song titles, but when going through some music looking for weird song titles, I found too many. What does this mean? It means you, my faithful readers, get yet another new blog tonight (this is number three).

First, some head scratchers with cool stories behind them:
  1. Any early (pre-1960s) song titles with the phrase "Rock and Roll" in it is refering to sex. I learned that recently, maybe you didn't know. Now you do.
  2. Hadacol Boogie (Jerry Lee Lewis and Buddy Guy perform the version I know, but it is a cover): Apparently "Hadacol" was a medicine marketed as a vitamin suppliment. I don't generally feel I need a vitamin suppliment, but I would have taken this particular one - it was 12% alcohol! This song is about being drunk. The spoken words at the end of the track I know asks why they called it Hadacol. The answer: "hada call it something."
  3. Death of a Martian (Red Hot Chili Peppers): This one is sad. It was written for Martian, Flea's dog, who passed away during the recording sessions.
Second, some that are only funny if you know the song or what it's about:
  1. Strawberry (Everclear): This song was inspired by a dream Art Alexakis had. In his dream, he relapsed after having kicked his drug habit. It has, as far as I can tell, absolutely nothing to do with strawberries.
  2. You Don't Have to Mean It (the Rolling Stones): "You don't have to mean it, you just got to say it anyway..." I don't want to say what I think it's about, but it's probably got something to do with...relationships.
Third, the one's that make you scratch your head:
  1. The Ballad of El Goodo (Evan Dando): Who's El Goodo and why does he deserve a ballad?
  2. My Ding-A-Ling (Chuck Berry): This one could probably go in the second category, but you don't have to know the song to know what it's about!
  3. Pressed Rat and Warthog (Cream): I don't know who Pressed Rat and Warthog are, but according to Ginger Baker, they've reopened their shop and are selling Cream t-shirts. I'd buy one.
  4. The Lemon Song (Led Zeppelin): Similar to the above Everclear song, it has, as far as I can tell, nothing to do with the food in its title. In fact, this is a (sort of) cover of Howlin' Wolf's Killing Floor making the Zepp title even more curious.
  5. Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey (the Beatles): John Lennon said this song was about him and Yoko Ono, which suggests that Yoko Ono certainly had something to hide...
  6. Little Ole Wine Drinker, Me (Dean Martin): I just like it. But then, I just like alcohol, so this shouldn't be a surprise.
  7. Pigs in Zen (Jane's Addiction): What? Is Perry Farrell suggesting pigs are buddhists?
  8. Ted, Just Admit It... (Jane's Addiction): Admit what? Apparently the song is about the fine line between good and bad...
  9. Naked & Famous (PUSA): Yeah, that would be cool.
  10. Possum Kingdom (Toadies): Animal anthropology or acid trip? Actually, it's either about making it behind the boathouse with a hot brunette, or about the devil's temptations... I'm not sure I can give the Toadies enough credit to believe the latter.
  11. How's My Ex Treating You? (Jerry Lee Lewis): I just love it. Tim?
  12. Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee (Jerry Lee Lewis): Clearly Jerry Lee had been drinking way too much wine.
Okay, that was a beautifully pointless waste of time. Now to finish my essay. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. YOU ARE A PRINCE AMONG MEN... AND YOUR GIRLFRIEND THINKS SO TOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accepted the above comment, not because I can see any relevance to the article, but because I am, in fact, a Prince among men...

    ReplyDelete