20 April 2007

Magic Carpet Ride

I was thinking more about RS's Songs with a Secret. I think they missed Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride. Everyone knows it's about a drug trip, but I've read that it describes a certain fraternity's initiation ritual quite well. While the fraternity officially denies it, they don't address the fact that the song closely describes their ritual. The song is also listed among other frat songs. Even the frat's official website has a picture of Aladdin's lamp on the home page (the song references Aladdin's lamp). I've read that the Steppenwolf members who were in the fraternity were kicked out and their names erased from membership databases for exposing the secret ritual. Alternatively, I've read that the song was ghost-written by a member of the frat. Whether the song is about the ritual, or just a drug trip, it certainly has a secret and should therefore have been on the list.

If any of my reader (singular, I think I only have one) is a member of Lambda Chi Alpha (aka LXA), you can anonymously tell me if the song really does describe the ritual.

Here are some quotes from members:
"I remember in about 1970-1971, Steppenwolf came to Chattanooga, Tn. and two other brothers besides myself went backstage to talk to them before the concert. When introduced to them, they gave us the “handshake test” and asked us to stay for the final song (of course-Magic Carpet Ride!) It is hard for me to believe there is not a link here."

"I have an old vinyl album (Steppenwolf, Gold: Their Great Hits) as part of a collection of vinyls that my mother gave me. On the reverse side of the album cover are three pictures. Amazingly they are purple, green and gold!" (the frat's official colours are purple, green and gold)

"I remember discussing the similarities with the song and LXA during chapter meetings. There has to be a connection somewhere. The similarities are too great!"

*****
In other news:
This list is just another reason why Rolling Stone magazine is a must-read for all rock-music junkies. According to Rolling Stone, these are the 40 songs that changed the world. Very cool.

2 comments:

  1. Well, speaking as one, I can tell you that although the band members weren't fraternity brothers, some elements from their song have a passing resemblance to symbols on our Coat of Arms. By this virtue, many of our chapters have assimilated the song for various functions because of this relationship.

    Another is Kansas' Dust in the Wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write very well.

    ReplyDelete