17 April 2007

"B.S." or "Harper's Environmental Catholicon"

It seems the Harper government has "leaked" a draft plan that would begin to reduce greenhouse gas emissions as early as 2010. According to the Canadian Press,
The 13-page plan, marked secret, says regulations and programs introduced by
Ottawa and the provinces will mean that emissions can be expected to start to
decline as early as 2010 and no later than 2012. After that emissions will
decline steadily, according to the document.

Harper has decided to leak this in the lead up to the next federal election, which of course means it is bullshit. I hope I'm wrong, I hope the Tories will actually do something helpful on the environment, but this, I'm certain, is bullshit. I can't believe a government so flippant about climate change, would suddenly come up with a proposal that would do Canada's part to stem the tide of global warming. This is nothing more than pre-writ campaigning. My money says the Tories will try to work on it after the next election (if they win) then tell us they can't get support from enough provincial governments to make it work and will end up scrapping it. Of course all these federal-provincial negotiations will be meaningless shams, but they will give Harper someone else to blame for not delivering on this promise.

I want to be wrong here. Harper, prove me wrong. Make this happen. Deliver on this promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment