07 March 2007

I'm Bored...and other News Bits

If you have something you don't want, just bury it. Alberta is planning to build a "carbon dioxide pipeline" that apparently will be used to bury carbon dioxide. According to the Globe and Mail scientists aren't certain if this type of project (which is used elsewhere) is a good idea. I say we vacuum out the centre of the earth and start storing shit there. Who needs all that molten rock anyway? We could totally shoot that crap into space and make ourselves a second moon! Other planets have multiple moons, why not ours?

*****

Liberal heavyweight MP Bill Graham (Toronto Centre) announced he's not running for re-election in the next federal election so former Ontario NDP Premier Bob Rae has decided he wants the seat. Rae recently finished third in the Liberal leadership race, and to be honest, I thought he was going to call it a day after losing. Apparently, I was wrong (take note, I admitted I was wrong).

*****

"The largest military operation ever undertaken in Canada" is being planned. It seems Stephen Harper has ordered the invasion of 81 Metcalfe Street in Ottawa. I didn't read the whole article, but I think it has something to do with the tenants housing extremist factions. Wait... Nevermind, I read the rest of the article and it's just about the Defence Department planning security for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. Which reminds me, I'm pumped about the Olympics being in Canada!

*****

I wonder if a federal election is coming soon? According to the Globe and Mail, Moncton area Conservative Party workers are being pushed to speed up the candidate-nomination process. Wouldn't it be funny if Garth Turner (Halton) is right? Especially after Conservative and Chief Government Whip Jay Hill (Prince George-Peace River) opined "I think that perhaps the tin foil hat's a little tight on [Turner's] head." It would be even funnier if Garth is right and the Conservatives, who campaigned on instituting fixed election dates, actually do have an "election manual" with specific (unfixed) dates.

*****

In light of what would be yet another Harperian policy reversal, I'm proposing we call Stephen Harper "Mr. Flipper". I know Pat, you wanted that title for Stephane Dion, but really it could work either way. How about we call them collectively "The Federal Flippers"?

*****

I think it is awesome how Middle Eastern leaders consistently call for the US to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict then decry American intrusion in Middle Eastern affairs. Being a Liberal (and liberal), I hate to say this, but I kind of feel bad for George W. Bush sometimes. Jordanian King Abdullah II spoke to a joint meeting of House and Senate members in Washington today. The King said results are needed this year. Good luck. How does one broker peace between a perpetually paranoid government (Israel) and one that denies the other's right to exist (Palestine)? Maybe after we've sucked the molten rock out of the centre of the earth (remember, to make room for carbon dioxide and other waste) we can make a replica of the Promised Land just off the coast of California. Surely either the Palestinians or the Israelis would be willing to trade their home for a plush island in the Pacific. I know I would. No offence Sarnia.

*****

Word to the wise: don't send emails to crazy broads.

*****

I really thought those pesky Parti Quebecois people had moved on. Apparently not. PQ leader Andre Boisclair promised a smooth transition to sovereignty if his party wins the upcoming Quebec provincial election. Perhaps Harper's "Quebecois nation" declaration wasn't a quick fix. I wonder if Boisclair's version of sovereignty is the same as the 1995 version - "we want to be sovereign but we still want your military, money, resources, and whatever else suits us." Here's a personal plea to M. Boisclair:
S'il vous plait ne faites pas au Québec un état souverain. Je ne veux pas devoir encourage pour une équipe appelée Montréal Quebecois.

*****

A historic vote in the UK means the House of Lords will be wholly elected (there are currently hereditary and appointed members...or something). As I read the article, I realize I'm fundamentally ignorant about the British Parliamentary system. I thought it was Upper and Lower Houses like ours, but they have an Upper Chamber too, and some other stuff. I don't know, read the article and figure it out yourself if you're interested. This is very significant.

*****

Yesterday I posted an article that talked about Human Rights abuses. Today's Guardian reports a couple more. Turkey is banning YouTube and Russia fired a journalist for giving an interview about police brutality. I'm assuming here that freedom of speech/press is a human right.

*****

There's a power struggle starting in Iran. The venomously anti-Bush Iranian President is being challenged by the country's leading elder statesman. Bush must be loving this.

*****

Why are the Raptors in a free fall? They've lost 3 in a row, and the last two were decisive losses. I'm not happy. Sam Mitchell, if I were GM, your neck would be on the line. Okay, not really, these Raptors were supposed to suck. Raptors face Memphis tonight. Go Raps!

*****

Go to London (England) and see little Harry Potter. I won't be there. I promise.

4 comments:

  1. Garth has already critisized Dion and his ability/inability to speak english.

    If this was a CPC MP, people would be freaking. Check it out on

    http://repocreepo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I've heard people criticize Dion's poor english before, perhaps not Tory MPs, but certainly media members or other politicos (here's looking at you Pat). The way Turner put it seems innocent enough to me. I'm quite certain Dion is aware of his shortfall in that area. But the bottom line is we had one of the longest serving Prime Ministers in history (like him or not) and we're pretty certain he didn't speak either official language. So is it something I, as a Liberal, am concerned about? No.

    If you're wondering why Turner wasn't throttled by the Party for this comment, perhaps it's because the Grit leash is a little longer (and sans choker) than the Tory leash. Or more likely it's because it just wasn't stated with the trademark Tory hyperbole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldnt understand what you said there... there was too much SPINNING going on.

    He said he told the leader to improve his english. If his was anyone else, bloody murder.

    The long leash is from the media and the self rationalization of other libs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What can I say? Spinning is good exercise.

    ReplyDelete