07 March 2007

Ignorance Undone and the Senate Debate

In an earlier post today I admitted to being "fundamentally ignorant" about the British Parliamentary system. I said something stupid about its make-up. I decided, primarily with the help of my favourite resource (Wikipedia) that I would fix that. I believe I can now talk somewhat intelligently about it.

The British Parliament, much like the Canadian Parliament (and unlike what I wrote earlier), has two Houses: the House of Lords is the upper house (we call it the Senate) and the House of Commons is the lower house (we call it the same). What was confusing me is that the House of Lords has two types of members: Lords Spiritual and Lords Temporal. Right now, neither faction is democratically elected (as with our Senate). The vote in the British parliament I referenced is going to change that. The House of Commons, like ours, is democratically elected. The Queen chooses the person most likely to be able to gain support of the majority of the House (usually the leader of the Party with the most seats, but not necessarily) to be Prime Minister. Again, this is exactly like our system (except instead of the Queen doing the selecting, it is our Governor General).

So the British parliament has voted in favour of a fully elected House of Lords. The Western Standard* thinks this is a boost to the Conservative plan of having our Senate become a democratically elected body. I'm not sure an unelected House of Lords an ocean away is what was holding us back, but perhaps. Is there really that much deference still paid to the British system? I think it had more to do with Liberal control of the Senate (i.e. since the Liberals usually form the government, why would they change the system and risk losing their guaranteed Senate support?).

But do we really want an elected Senate? Right now, the Senate acts as a sort of Socratic philosopher king in that it protects against the tyrany of the majority. The Senate doesn't need to worry about whether or not their decision will cost them the next election, thereby allowing Senators to make the right decision, even if that decision is not popular (i.e. a law taxing red heads more than any other hair-colour cleavage would benefit the vast majority of the population, and it wouldn't really violate the Charter [where does it say we are free from discrimination based on hair colour?], but it would, I think we can agree, be unfair/wrong/an example of tyrany of the majority and could conceivable have popular support).** I'm not saying this is a common thing, nor am I saying the Canadian Senate actual does this, but it can, and that is the benefit of having an appointed-for-life Senate.

Besides that, what's wrong with the current system? In comparison to the American system (their upper house, the Senate, is elected) I don't think we come up short. I mean, if the theory of voter fatigue is correct, Canadians don't want any more elections - far too many of us don't turn up on election day as it is.

I don't think this change in the British Parliament has much significance in Canada. I think Harper has the same long road ahead of him if he wants to make our Senate an elected body. I give credit to the Western Standard for jumping on anything that could possibly further their cause (remember that their cause and the Conservative cause are one and the same), but this train isn't going anywhere.

*****

* Is it possible the Western Standard could be any more partisan? Wholly rightist, entirely Conservative. I know it is "Canada's only conservative national newspaper" but it could at least pretend to be unbiased like the rest of our national newspapers do.
** Give me a break, this is the best idea I could come up with. If you've got a better one, leave it in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. It's not just the Western Standard that thinks this will advance the case for Senate reform in Canad; it's also the position of the Stephen Owen (MP for vancouver-quandra I believe)... The Ottawa Citizen reported that Mr. Owen thinks that this will generate momentum for reform here in Canada, but stressed that the Liberals would only be interested in it if Mr. Harper "fixes" the chronic under-representation of the West (Mind you, the Liberals never dared do anything with the Senate -- since it would surely annoy all the party bagman that found post-electoral positions in that chamber)...

    I'm still out on how to reform the Senate, but I think the debate is over and everybody concludes that it has to be fixed. Canadian politicians love-affair with the notion that "the unelected Senate is simply what we get when we have a Westminster style of government" goes out the window when even Westminster changes their system. I heard somewhere along time ago that Canadian political institutions are more loyal to British parliamentary traditions than the British are.

    How ironic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vancouver Quandra is correct. How encyclodedic of you! (I looked it up.)

    I also like how you rephrased my comment about why the Grits never changed the Senate in a way that sounds much more venomous. Kudos.

    I'm not convinced our Senate needs to be fixed. As I said, Canadians (almost the majority now) don't show up on election day as it is, so why ask us to vote more often? So we can see how low voter turnout in Canada can get? Do you have a wager on when it will dip below 30% and you want to make sure you're right? Besides all that, there really hasn't been anything wrong with the functioning of our Senate. Cries for Senate democratization are based simply on some lofty ideal that democracy is always better. Period. Sometimes democracy is not better (I say it, Socrates would have agreed. Hell, even the Bush Administration is starting to consider democracy a luxury, at least in the Middle East). It is prudent to ensure whatever office you want to democratize will actually benefit from that action and consider whether the relevent constituency will benefit as well. I'm not certain the Senate or Canadians will necessarily benefit from an elected Senate.

    Maybe the Western Standard and Mr Owen are correct. Perhaps the move in Great Britain will help the cause in Canada, but is it a cause we want helped?

    ReplyDelete