05 May 2007

Miscellaneous Musings

It has been far too long since I last posted an entry here, so I thought I would kill some time with a post indulging some random thoughts. Enjoy!

I finished my program at Lambton College with an A average, which is good for me. Congratulations to everyone else in the program who also finished. I think I may find myself back at school in a few years, but who knows. For now I'm back to the job search. This is my least favourite activity...ever. Here's hoping it doesn't last long.

The Toronto Raptors finished their season last night with a loss to the New Jersey Nets. It was a close game and one of the best I've seen so far in this year's playoffs. I was pretty distraught about the loss. I really thought this Raptors' team was good enough to get past the first round, and certainly good enough to beat the Nets. I won't blame Jose Calderon's picked-off pass into the post for the loss. Had that pass made it through to Chris Bosh, I'd be looking forward to game seven right now, but really, the Raps had long since blown the game. Bosh was dreadful from the field (at least until the last 5 minutes of the game when he finally started to play like Chris Bosh) while Andrea Bargnani seemed to be on fire. The problem was that the Raptors' seemed to stay away from Il Mago (as Bargnani is known). At one point, Bargnani got the ball and forced up a shot probably because he was worried he wouldn't get the ball back. And I can't blame him. He seemed to be the fourth option on the floor in spite of the success he was having when he did get the ball. Unfortunately, the Raps stayed away from the rookie and will be away from the court until the start of next season. Which, I will add, should be a great year!

I read a story in the Sarnia Observer that our fair city is the 57th best place to live in Canada. I guess. Not for me, but for a lot of people - primarily those who are retired or nearing retirement. Message to Mayor Mike Bradley: bringing call centres to the city doesn't exactly qualify as adding good jobs. Maybe I'm just bitter because of my experience looking for work here, but it almost seems like in this city a university education (in anything other than engineering) makes you over-qualified rather than employable. So now I have a college education, maybe that'll help!

This whole Shane Doan controversy (which seems thankfully to be over) is a disgrace. I don't know who initiated this debate among our Parliamentarians, but boy was it a waste of time. Supposedly Doan made a derogatory comment about French Canadian hockey players back in 2005 and as such should forever be banished from captaining a Team Canada. The problem is that the NHL did an investigation into the whole deal and decided Doan was innocent. Whatever genius politician brought up this whole mess needs to be slapped...or perhaps be given a pie in the face as per Canadian tradition. Do your part here.

In the best news all year, Paris Hilton is going to jail. I guess after driving under the influence of alcohol (or whatever designer intoxicant Hollywood's bimbos are using) for the nth time (this time while on probation), a judge has finally sentenced her to prison time. Hopefully this will also keep her out of the news...if only for 45 days...probably not.

For the first time in my life I actually picked up a business magazine today. This edition of Canadian Business seems to be almost entirely filled with human resources news (which works for me since that's the program I just finished). I've read most of it and, as expected, it seems a far cry from my usual political magazines. Instead of the leftist propoganda, it naturally looks right (as in right-wing, not necessarily as in correct). To be honesty, reading this magazine gave me a little more insight into some of the things my BBA and BComm friends say. Maybe I'll read it more often.

Well, that's what's running through my head today. Hope you enjoyed this meaningless self-indulgence.

No comments:

Post a Comment