16 May 2007

Gas Boycott

A few days ago I was invited into a Facebook group called "Don't Buy Gas on May 15th" (or something like that). I immediately declined the request because the whole campaign is absurd. Now, Global National and Canada.com find the internet campaign worthy of headline news.

The campaign, clearly enough, asked us not to pump gas on May 15th (yesterday) as a way of telling Big Oil (and the government) that gas is too expensive. Well, I have two main beefs with this campaign:

  1. What is the point of boycotting gas for one day? I would guess 99% of the population doesn't pump gas everyday, so I would assume a number of people (like me) didn't pump gas on May 15th simply because they didn't need gas. I would also assume that those people who did righteously avoid pumping gas yesterday still drove their vehicles and will probably just fill up today instead. I think the message gets lost when it's effect is simply to increase the number of people who pump gas on another day. The campaign may have hurt sales yesterday, but I bet today has been a boom for gas stations.
  2. Gas prices in Canada (and even more so in the US) aren't high! The price of gas in North America is (in relative terms) dirt cheap. We pay more for a bottle of water than for gas! Go to your nearest vending machine and tell me the cost of a 591mL bottle of water. At my college it was $1.75. That works out to over $3 a litre. Have you ever in your life paid that much for gas? I'm guessing no. Also on this point: we, as North Americans are addicted to gas and we use it without thinking. Higher gas prices in Europe and elsewhere lead to the increased popularity of smaller more fuel-efficient vehicles (even diesels are much more popular over seas). Contrast this to the idiot in downtown Toronto who thinks his gas-guzzling super-sized SUV is practical transportation. Give me a break.

My argument: Gas prices should go up! If the government taxed gas and (preferably) Big Oil more, the price of gas would go up. So would government revenue. That would mean more money for mass transit and other environmentally friendly (or at least less harmful) innovations. Increasing the price of gas would also encourage people to find other ways to get around: buy a bike, strap on some walking shoes, take a bus... (Heaven forbid someone might take a bus. How undignified! Well, not really, only if you're richer than you are smart or terribly pretentious.)

Stephen Harper: increase taxes on oil companies.

(I'm laughing hysterically while writing this because there's no way in hell Harper would tax his buddies in Alberta.)

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, this is quite an interesting posting that I just had to respond!

    First, let me say that it was actually PMSH who said that Canadians have to learn to live with high gas prices. So, really, raising the gas tax would not really be out of line with what he has already said.... I should also note that he made this comment in response to an opposition question (Liberal, if my memory serves) demanding that the government take action against the high gas prices!!!

    Furthermore, I should also add that I find it really funny that the Liberals and NDP are demanding the government do something about the high gas prices, while at the same time telling us that we should drive our cars less and take public transit more. What is the best, most economically efficient way for Canadians to adopt the measures that are being asked of us by the Grits and the 'Dippers? High gas prices.

    However, much like you say that PMSH would never tax his "buddies" in Alberta, I suppose the NDP and the Liberals hope nobody notices the blatant contradiction in their positions (demand we take the bus, but then make it cheaper for us to drive our car)...

    I think the Grits and the NDP need to develop a coherent policy towards gas prices, and not just stick a finger in the wind and go with the direction in which public opinion is flowing.

    I guess what I'm asking for is a little principle in their positions, but I won't hold my breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I don't appreciate the partisan punches you've taken in your comment, I do appreciate that we basically agree that gas prices should be allowed to rise.

    I chalk this one up as another agreement. Maybe you're wearing me down Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wearing you down?

    Perhaps it's the other way around.

    Or perhaps, we're just too logical and rationale to be members of our respective parties!!!

    I'm glad to see that common sense prevailed here, and that we both agree that gas prices should go up if we are serious about curbing GHGs...

    If only we were running the country.... (we'd probably never get elected!)

    ReplyDelete