26 February 2007

Habs Make a Deal

My beloved Bleu, Blanc et Rouge finally cleansed themselves of defenseman Craig Rivet. Rivet was, by my estimation, the slowest player I've ever seen. I think most NHL forwards are faster in shoes than Rivet is on his skates. TSN noted Rivet "has occasional brain cramps in the defensive zone," and "isn't skilled enough to lead the rush on offense." I agree. His only redeming quality is his size, but that doesn't do much good when you can't catch anyone.

In return, the Habs get 22 year old defenseman Josh Gorges. He's young, he's big, and he's got a lot of upside. I guess the Sharks were looking for some size and experience on defense because otherwise this move makes no sense. Whatever San Jose's reasoning, I'm not complaining.

The NHL trade deadline show starts tomorrow at 10am, so this is going to be the most interesting couple days of the year so far. And the Habs and Leafs are facing off, so don't bug me tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment