23 February 2007

Blair Still in Bush's Pocket

A few days ago brought big news from Great Britain. British Prime Minister Tony Blair announced a significant withdrawal of troops from Iraq. News headlines touted the end of the "Coalition of the Willing." Today the Globe and Mail is reporting that Britain will be sending more troops to Afghanistan (America's other war). I can hear the conversation now:

Blair: George, I'm getting killed here, I need to get my boys out of Iraq.

Bush: Sorry Tony, we need you. Without you it's just us and Togo.

Blair: I really can't keep them there. I wish there was something we could work out.

Bush: I've got an idea. You can withdraw some troops from Iraq if you promise to send them to Afghanistan.

Blair: That's brilliant George! I can continue to be your lap dog AND look good in the papers!

Bush: Here's a treat, now roll over...Good boy!

So Blair is doing the noble thing and withdrawing from America's "illegal" war. But what he's really doing is sending his boys to a different frontline on Bush's war on terror. Don't get me wrong, the war in Afghanistan is something I am behind 100%. I believe this war was certainly morally justifiable and I believe (slow) progress is being made (unlike in Iraq). I welcome the arrival of British troops to take some of the strain off the Canadian forces who've been in all the most dangerous situations over the past year. I welcome more troops and more assistance in a country that needs it. Just don't think that Blair nobly stood in defiance of his American allies.

2 comments:

  1. "It will just be us and Togo".. I never knew that Togo maintained an army, but then again, I gather that every country with 1) no army and 2) wanted to curry favour with the US, was in favour of the invasion of Iraq...

    While I agree that 1) Afghanistan is a noble battle and 2) invading Iraq was, in hindsight, stupid, could you please elaborate why the invasion of Iraq should be viewed any differently than the invasion of Afghanistan? Both were led by allied forces with the aim to overthrow dictatorships. It would seem that if one invasion is morally justified, then shouldn't the other invasion be just the same? Perhaps it was not your intent, but I would think this is one area that you should have expanded on....

    ReplyDelete