08 December 2008

Our Media Betrays Us (Except for this Guy...and Maybe a Few Others...)

At least one journalist can see through the lies:

Our Robert Mugabe moment, and other unpleasant memories, by Lawrence Martin:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081205.wcomartin08/EmailBNStory/politics/

On a somewhat related note, I'd like to ask Harper if he ever intends on allowing Canadians to choose their government based on real issues like the economy, the environment, and foreign policy. Another election based on vague concepts such as "leadership" might make me sick. More importantly, it certainly won't help Canada rediscover the principle of "good government".

Finally, and I've always been against this in the past, but does anybody else out there think maybe our Head of State should be elected? Is it time to finally replace the last remaining remnants of our monarchical past? Maybe I'm being rash.

6 comments:

  1. As I said last night, I am a republican. So, yes, I would like to see the Head of State and the Head of Government be elected by the people.

    Although, I don't think in the current context that would help you any -- regardless if it's a G-G or an elected Tory President, the results would still be the same: out-of-power-Liberals looking in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No comment on the avalanche of lies Harper uses to placate the population?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You call them "lies"...

    I call them a representation of the truth.

    There's always two sides to the story and somewhere in between is the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harper told us the coalition wouldn't even sign the agreement in front of a Canadian flag. That was quite a blatant lie...or was that simply an alternative "representation of the truth"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the entire "lack of Canadian flag" line is pretty weak.

    While he was obviously wrong on the facts, I can personally say that, depending on the photos that he say, that statement would be true.

    When I first saw pictures of the coalition photo-op, I thought the same thing - where's the flag? Some pics had it and some pics didn't.

    However, if the fact that Harper was mistaken forms the depth of your argument against Harper and for the coalition, you're starting from a weak position.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harper wasn't mistaken, he lied. I use that example because it shows how he's willing to tell any lie to further his cause (his own power) regardless of how easy it is to belie.

    I could start delineating his many other lies, such as fixed election dates and Senate reforms, but I don't want to bore my audience.

    ReplyDelete